Since I took a bit of a hiatus from writing, I thought it may be appropriate to tell you a few things that have been going on with me and mine recently. So–here goes (in no particular order).
1. I am unemployed. While I am a pastor, I am what is called a bivocational pastor (meaning that I also have a regular full-time job in addition to my pastoral duties). After working for the same company for over 9 years, I was let go at the end of August. I will not go into the “why” here, but it was a shock. I have sent out many resumes and been on a couple of interviews, but have not had any offers yet. I have tried not to be angry over the situation and have been mostly successful. Every cloud has a silver lining. I’ve been able to spend more time with my family (in particular our now 6 month old baby) and more time in my pastoral duties. God has blessed our family and allowed the money to stretch farther than it ever has. To Him be the glory.
2. We sold our house in Oakdale. This happened on my birthday last and has to be the best birthday gift that I have ever received. I enjoyed Oakdale while we lived there. It is a quiet, out of the way place that you have to get lost to find. I miss it most on those days where I seem to be rushed.
3. This month I am celebrating my 20th year of being a follower of Jesus and my 11th year of being called to preach. I must admit that I am still learning how to do both effectively. I figure I’ll still be in learning mode until the day that I die. It has been a fantastic journey so far and I have learned more about genuinely following Jesus during the last few years than I ever did beforehand. Thanks to all of you who have helped me along the way.
4. I’m learning to rely on others more. It’s a little bit scary and I feel useless somtimes, but it is worth it. Our lives are supposed to be shared with others. It makes us and the others better–trust me.
5. I’m still overweight. I started out the new year blogging weekly about losing weight, but when I hit a standstill I stopped writing about it. It’s time to get back on the wagon and get healthy again. Pray that I will keep it up.
6. I set up a myspace page for the church that I am blessed to be a part of. You can see it at www.myspace.com/stoneypointchurch. It’s been an interesting way to contact people. Check it out.
7. As stated in a previous post, I believe God has graciously showed me what I and the church I pastor need to be about. In addition to Romans 12:21 (which I quoted in a previous post), the other guiding verse is Matthew 5:16–“Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven.”
Overall, life is still good because God is still good. The things that I used to complain about I am learning to accept as being part of what God is using to make me who He wants me to be. I’m content with that now.