Welcome to Prophetic Thursday here at the blog. Every Thursday I will peer down the pike and try to give you a heads up on what to expect within Christianity in the near and not so near future. To see the last 2 posts in this series click Here and Here.
I remember the first time that I saw MC Hammer preaching. It was amazing and I was mesmerized. And it made perfect sense. He had an ability to get people to pay attention during his music career and now he was using this same ability to get people to pay attention to a different message. I’m not saying that he was a great preacher or that he had great theology; I am saying that he made people notice what he was saying.
There are other people who are good at making others pay attention: professional wrestlers. And it’s only a matter of time before some of them change course and try their massive hands at preaching.
Here a few wrestlers that we could one day see behind the pulpit and how they could make their catchphrases more faith friendly:
1. Hulk Hogan: “Whatcha gonna do when the Holy Spirit runs wild on you!”
2. “Macho Man” Randy Savage: “Snap into the Gospel–OH YEAAAAHHH!”
3. “The American Dream” Dusty Rhodes: “I’ve dined on pork and beans; I know the King of Kings. I’m the American Dream–Dusty Rhodes!”
4. Bret “The Hitman” Hart: “Jesus is the best there was, the best there is, and the best there ever will be!”
5. “Stone Cold” Steve Austin: “And that’s the bottom line because God Almighty said so!”
6. Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson: “If you SMEEEEELLLLLLL what the Spirit is coookin’!”
7. Ric Flair: “WOOOOOO!” (after every main point)
8. “The Million Dollar Main” Ted DiBiase: “Everyone has a price…and Jesus paid it!”
9. The Miz: “God is AWESOME!”
10. John Cena: “You can’t see me….because I hope you see Jesus in me!”
Now, I fully realize that preaching is something that only God can call and equip people to do. But I wouldn’t be surprised if some of these guys are on TV in a few years using their voices for something other than to call each other cowards in creative ways. I just hope that they don’t wear tights while doing it.
And as always, when this happens remember that you heard it here first.
(Who else may one day be a wrestling preacher? Are there any preachers/pastors you know who would make good wrestlers? Share away!)