A new blog post could be found here every day from the end of last October until one month and one day ago. And then, without any warning, it stopped.
It really wasn’t good timing. I had just participated in the First Annual Blogging All-Star Challenge. I had just been hated on in the kindest way possible. I had been asked to take part in some pretty neat things including several guest posts.
And then…..nothing. I simply went away.
What happened? Where were you? What’s been going on?
I will get to that, but first I want to dispel a few rumors associated with my absence. Here are a few things that I haven’t been doing during my break from blogging:
1. Recovering from liposuction/plastic surgery. One of my few nicknames is Big Ugly. I believe it got started by either my friend Larry (the Deuce) or my other friend David (Shiney). They aren’t my only friends, thankfully. I complained to them about not having a nickname like they did. I suggested “Thunder;” one of them suggested “Big Ugly.” As the name suggests, I am big and I am not the most handsome gentleman around. But I didn’t have liposuction or plastic surgery. Not yet.
2. Plotting my revenge on Jon Acuff. The team that I was on (Team Ricky) was ahead in the Blogging All-Star Challenge. Until—until the dastardly Jon Acuff sent out a tweet about it. That’s when all of his Acuffites jumped on board and turned the challenge into a beat down. Even though it was soul-crushing, I haven’t been plotting any revenge. However, if I ever have the opportunity to administer a no-holds-barred noogie on him, you better believe that I won’t be a quitter.
3. Building a better mousetrap. From what I understand, if a person is able to accomplish this feat then the world will beat a path to his or her door. I haven’t been doing this. First, I am not much of a builder having graduated from the School of the Mechanically Declined. Second and more importantly, I don’t want the world to beat a path to my door. At least not without calling to tell me that they’re coming over first. Us Cannons like to clean up and put on airs (whatever that means).
4. Thinking about the manifold complexities of The Green Lantern. Thanks to my decision to watch this movie I now have an answer if some asks me about the worst decision I have ever made that does not involve eating a Krstyal hamburger. Dave Ramsey should have spoken out against spending money to watch it. To say that it is a terrible movie does a disservice to the word terrible. Ok–I feel better now.
5. Shoop Ba-Dooping. An essential part of doing something is knowing what it is you are doing. Even though Salt ‘n’ Pepa or TLC or one of those groups sang about it years ago, I still have no idea what it is. So I have not been spending my time away doing it. I have also not been chasing waterfalls.
Now that those rumors are out of the way, let me share with you the real reason for my absence.
I needed time.
Time to ponder.
Time to pray.
Time to listen closely to God.
Doing this led me to a difficult decision.
On July 24th I resigned as pastor of Stoney Point Baptist Church.
Following God isn’t always easy and this was certainly the case with my resignation. I did not make the decision lightly and I hope the best for the Stoney Point going forward. Please join me in praying for them.
I do not have a current place of service. But the place of service is not as important as who I am serving. The One who I am serving is the King of Kings.
I was privileged to preach at two different churches the Sunday after resigning and I am preaching during both services of another church this coming Sunday. After that it is wide open so far.
Please be praying for me and my family during this time of transition. Please be praying for open doors. Please be praying that God is glorified more and more.
To those who have expressed concern for me while I was away–Thank You!
And please–be praying.
What is one of the most difficult decisions you have ever made?