I saw this tweet from Ed Stetzer (President of Lifeway Research, writer, missiologist, etc) yesterday that made me chuckle:
“Glad to be home w/ Donna & girls. I love @johnpiper, but he doesn’t need me to tell him bedtime stories like my 7yr old!”
Why did it make me chuckle? Because I immediately began thinking about what bedtime stories John Piper might like.
1. The Christian Hedonist in the Hat. “The sun did not shine. It was too wet to play. So we sat in the house all that cold, cold, wet day. We read sermons by Jonathan Edwards. We read them each one. We pondered the chief end of man. Desiring God is such fun.”
2. Goodnight Moon (Made by God for His Glory). Because without the parenthetical statement, it’s lunar idolatry.
3. Goldilocks and the 3 Arminians. Goldilocks goes into a house occupied by 3 Arminians, but none of their theologies fits “just right.”
4. The Very Hungry for the Word Caterpillar. Caterpillars do not live by bread alone.
5. Where the Mild Things Are. Max asks to get sent to bed without supper so he can conjugate verbs in Hebrew and arc the New Testament.
6. The Boy Who Cried “Don’t Waste Your Life.” A cautionary tale about a guy who uses this phrase so often on Facebook and Twitter that people quit listening to him.
7. Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the TULIP. Leroy “Encyclopedia” Brown goes from a quasi-Calvinist to a hard-core 5-pointer in this story that was predestined to be written.
While all these would probably appeal to Piper, I imagine that he would prefer the Bible to all of these.
I hope the same is true for you.
What other bedtime stories would John Piper enjoy?
What is your favorite bedtime story?
***Please note that I do not mean any disrespect to John Piper or his ministry in this post. Piper’s books (especially Desiring God and Don’t Waste Your Life) and sermons have blessed me and many others throughout the years and I am sure that many more will be touched by his work well into the future. And if you are John Piper and you are reading this–thank you. Now get back to writing books and being awesome!***