My wife and oldest daughter went “Black Friday” shopping. They left the house a little before 10pm on Thursday night and got home around 7am Friday morning. Thankfully they did not spend a great deal of money. Also, they did not get pepper sprayed.
When I first heard about a woman pepper spraying 20 people to get an Xbox 360 I was incredulous. Okay, let me be honest. I’m not exactly sure what incredulous means. But that is still how I felt. I couldn’t believe that someone would use pepper spray on people just to get a video gaming system.
Then I pondered it a little bit more and now I have a confession to make. Given the right set of circumstances I can think of a few reasons why I would pepper spray someone.
1. Having my heel rammed by a grocery cart. Normally I would forgive this quickly, but I can see me snapping after a long day while making one of my far-too-frequent late-night trips to Food City. Getting dog food at 11pm makes me cranky. Beware!
2. Hearing someone say that Jar Jar Binks is the best Star Wars character ever. If yousa be sayin’ that heesa the besta, meesa be sprayin’ yousa.
3. Going through the drive-thru at Krispy Kreme and being told that they are out of doughnuts. This really happened to me once. I did not have any pepper spray. That time.
4. Finding out that anyone has bad-mouthed A Charlie Brown Christmas. Because it is the best Christmas special ever made this will probably never happen. But if it does and I find out about it, whoever is the offending party better hope that I have just listened to Linus expound on the true meaning of Christmas. Otherwise it will be on like Donkey Kong. Or whatever the kids are saying these days.
5. Having Dick Vitale do play by play of my life. “He hears the alarm go off and he does a reach-a-roo-snooze-aroo, baby! It goes off again and he’s up. He pours cereal in his bowl, but doesn’t realize that he’s out of milk. That’s a big mistake that will cost the big fella, baby!” This will never happen, but if it did someone would get pepper sprayed, baby!
In case you are wondering, I don’t really plan on pepper spraying anyone for any of the reasons listed above. I can see people using it if they were in imminent physical danger.
But for an Xbox 360? No.
People are created in the image of God. Xbox 360s are created by people for entertainment. One matters immensely; the other doesn’t really matter at all. I shouldn’t be too hard on the lady, though. People have been caring more about stuff than about others for a long time.
Hopefully during this Christmas season those of us who follow Jesus can keep Christ in Christmas not by fussing over the words people use concerning the Holiday, but by being Christlike in how we love and care for our neighbors.
And by not pepper spraying anyone. Unless they really, really deserve it.
What are some other not-so-serious reasons to pepper spray someone?
How are you planning to show love to others this Christmas season?