I use Suave shampoo. Is it because I am suave? Um…no. Sometimes when I use it, I feel like a fraud. I’m not suave.
I use Suave because it is fairly inexpensive compared to other brands. And because it is the kind my wife buys.
What are some more appropriate shampoo names for me? Here are a few suggestions
1. Forever the Same. See that picture to the right? My hair has been that way since birth. Maybe even before birth. It’s possible that my hair has been that way since conception.
2. Prematurely Gray. Wanna make a joke about my gray hair? Go ahead–I’ve been hearing them since my early twenties. And you’ve been ugly even longer. Sorry–that was the gray hair talking.
3. Dork. With celebrity spokesperson Bill Gates.
4. N.T.H. Not televangelist hair. Because I don’t have televangelist hair. Or teeth. Or fashion sense. Or bad theology (I kid, I kid–mostly).
5. Not Quite. As in: Do I have good hair? Not quite.
I doubt any shampoo will ever be named any of these. So I’ll keep using suave even though I’m not suave.
The thing is, I’ve never pretended to be suave.
There are some people, though, who do pretend.
Some pretend to be caring. Some pretend to be kind. Some pretend to be Christians.
There have been times I have pretended to be these things. Maybe you have, too.
Thankfully, God’s grace was sufficient for me to overcome those times, to become what I sometimes pretended to be.
And His grace will see me home.
What are some more appropriate names for your shampoo? How have you overcome the desire to be a pretender?